Each summer, the Center for Neuroscience at the University of Pittsburgh (CNUP) sponsors a 10-week program in which selected undergraduate students conduct research investigating diverse aspects of nervous system function under the guidance of individual CNUP training faculty. The 2020 CNUP Summer Undergraduate Research Program will begin on Tuesday, May 26.
1. To give qualified students the opportunity to experience the challenges and rewards of intensive,
hypothesis-driven laboratory research in neuroscience.
2. To teach the technical features of a research project. These may include neuroanatomy,
neurophysiology, molecular biology, brain imaging, computer simulations, neuropsychology or
Note: Students who envision their future in clinical medicine typically will not be competitive for this
fellowship, unless that vision also includes an important potential role for laboratory-based
1. Applicants must have completed their sophomore or junior year of undergraduate training before
the start of the program.
2. Applicants must have a GPA of 3.0 ("B") or higher; strong performance in science, math, and related
coursework is especially important.
3. Applicants must be undergraduate students currently enrolled full-time at a U.S. college or
4. International applicants will be required to provide official authorization for Optional Practical
Training (OPT) from their home institution, prior to their arrival in Pittsburgh.
1. A $4,000 stipend will be paid as follows: $500 will be paid on May 29. The remaining $3,500 will be
paid in two equal payments of $1750 on June 30 and July 31, 2020.
2. Fellows will receive housing at no cost in a double-occupancy, on-campus dormitory.
3. Access cards with a limit of $100 will be provided to ride Port Authority public transportation
4. Fellows will be responsible for their own meals and other expenses, including travel to and from
1. Download the application form.
2. View research interests of CNUP Training Faculty participating in the 2020 Summer Program.
3. Choose the top 3 faculty members with whom you would like to work, plus 2 others if appropriate.
Whenever possible, student/mentor pairings are determined from this list.
4. Please send the application form, college transcripts, personal statement, and letters of
recommendation to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 31.
1. The 2020 program will begin with orientation on May 26 and end with final presentations on July 31.
All fellows must be available to begin and end their participation on these dates.
2. Fellows are expected to work in the laboratory full-time throughout the 10-week program. Vacation
days will not be permitted unless pre-approved by the faculty mentor. Other awards and funding must
Pertinent Dates and Deadlines:
1. 2020 program dates: Tuesday, May 26 through Friday, July 31
2. Application receipt deadline: Friday, January 31, 2020
3. Applicants will be notified by email between March 2-17, 2020 whether they are accepted, placed on
a wait list, or declined. Students who are accepted will be requested to accept or decline the CNUP
Summer Program offer within 4 days.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Get your questions answered with some frequently asked questions that our students
Jon W. Johnson, PhD
Center for Neuroscience and
Department of Neuroscience
Anthony E. Kline, PhD
Center for Neuroscience and
Department of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation